Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Critical Reflection on Module


At the beginning of this module, I set the goal for myself to polish my technical writing skills and cultivate the habit of spotting mistake in all my work. After 13 weeks of tutelage under Professor Brad and the help of my peers, I feel that I have achieved what I set out to do and learnt numerous applicable communications skills that can be extremely useful in my final year project or in fact, any required information that needs to be properly translated in a form of reports or presentations. I feel that the module was very well paced and throughout each assignment, there was ample guidance and feedback that allowed me to understand and internalise my mistakes and areas of improvements. The feedback methodology used during this module was crafted in a remarkable convention, which allowed the students to help critique their peers work. This forces us to automatically self-reflect on our work and think about any oversights we might have missed out. One area of improvement I may highlight is the emphasise on meeting minutes. I felt that even though it was briefly touched on during the class, more emphasise could be put onto it as minutes writing will be a very important skillset when we enter the workforce, not only to write them but to know how to vet and approve them as well.

During this module, the final group assignment was to select a product to research on and propose improvements/modifications in the form of a proposal report and present our ideas to the cohort. Our group decided to build on a previous assignment idea – the Seabin. During this project, even though our team had one less member as compared to other teams, with the right delegation of work load, we were able to complete the assignment smoothly and properly. The constant meet ups and dedicated team discussion time allocated during class helped ensure the individual portions integrate well with one another and in turn, maintain a good “flow” within the report. We also had well formulated sessions during class to help condition us to speaking in front of a crowd. From pitching to a buddy, having a mock presentation to a small group and finally the presentation to the class. This helped me to foster up more courage each time I overcome a small hurdle and slowly be more comfortable with public speaking.

Overall, I feel that I have greatly benefited from the group project assignment and the module. As compared to other similar modules like “GenEd” in polytechnic, the modus operandi of this module allowed for much better learning and takeaways. It was a pleasure to attend this module and I hope to be able to have the privilege to learn from Professor Brad again.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Jonathan, for this highly detailed and well developed critical reflection. You provide clear supporting info as you review some of the work you did during the term so as to achieve your goals. I'm impressed by the learning you share in terms of, for example, the public speaking segment, and the value that you express for the step-by-step approach to preparation in that process. (You and your teammates certainly presented well on the day of the final OP.) I'm also happy to note that you leveraged peer feedback throughout the module.

    I also appreciate your discussion of your learning in terms of project work and writing. I'm glad you feel that you have improved. Finally, thank you for the heads up on the miniutes taking and vetting. That is a valid suggestion.

    Once again, I appreciate all your hard work and the positive attitude during the term.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Critical Reflection on Module

At the beginning of this module, I set the goal for myself to polish my technical writing skills and cultivate the habit of spotting mista...