Tuesday, January 14, 2020

INTRODUCTION


Subject: Self-introduction letter

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Jonathan Chan. The purpose of this email is to briefly introduce myself and give some background behind my ever so common name. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in aeronautical engineering. Thereafter, enlisted in the army and now studying mechanical engineering under SIT/UofG.

I chose to pursue a degree in engineering as I have always been a “numbers guy” as far as I can remember and apart from the technical skills that I will acquire, I greatly appreciate and admire the systematic and problem-solving mindset of engineers. One notable interest of mine is the passion for mechanical watches, the workmanship and craftsmanship that goes into each timepiece has always intrigued my curiosity. This also added to my decision to study engineering at university.

I believe that communication is one of the key components of our society. It is also one of the greatest achievements of mankind. From day to day conversations to more extreme cases like convincing a suicide bomber to stand-down. The choice of words, tone and mood can significantly affect the outcome at any instance.

For myself, speaking publicly in front of big crowds has always been a challenge. To overcome this, I constantly force myself to speak up and step out of my comfort zone. However, I have the habit of hiding my nervousness behind jokes and laughter which I wish to overcome in time to come.

My goal for this semester is not only to polish up my technical writing/presentations skills but also to cultivate the habit of spotting mistakes within all of my work in the future. With all this in mind, I look forward to learning more about communication under your tutelage. Lastly, as quoted by Ralph Marston, “Excellence is not a skill. It is an Attitude.”

Best regards,
Jonathan Chan 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Jonathan,

    Like myself and my blog group-mates, you have made the mistake of capitalizing your "Best Regards". It should be "Best regards". when, when using acronyms SIT/UofG, you should write out the full name when referencing it for the first time.

    Best regards,
    Adley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adley,

      Thank you for highlighting.

      Best regards,
      Jonathan Chan

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear John,

    Thank you for this concise, informative letter. In it, you share something about the genesis of your interest in engineering, your view on the value of comm skills, a bit of your experience and your goals for the module. I find it interesting that your 'problem-solving mindset' has inspired you to pursue engineering. Organization-wise, you address all the topics except your comm skills strength.

    There are also a few minor issues in terms of language use in this letter:

    1. sentence structure
    -- Thereafter, enlisted in the army and now studying mechanical engineering under SIT/UofG. > (fragment)
    -- One notable interest of mine is the passion for mechanical watches, the workmanship and craftsmanship that goes into each timepiece has always intrigued my curiosity. > (comma splice/subject-verb agreement) ?
    -- From day to day conversations to more extreme cases like convincing a suicide bomber to stand-down. > (fragment) ?

    2. punctuation
    -- However, I have the habit of hiding my nervousness behind jokes and laughter which I wish to overcome in time to come. (missing comma)
    > However, I have the habit of hiding my nervousness behind jokes and laughter, which I wish to overcome in time to come.

    In a move to address your modules goals, let's work on revising this.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Critical Reflection on Module

At the beginning of this module, I set the goal for myself to polish my technical writing skills and cultivate the habit of spotting mista...